Friday 16 August 2013

confessions of a gardener....about workbees

That was me.  I'd open my inbox and groan...sometimes OUTLOUD. 
Seriously? 
You want ME to come to the GARDEN and work? 
Questions flooded the mind:
What would we do?
who are these people?
Does anyone go?
why do they go? 
Don't they have a life?
Why would I do all this extra work? 
Who would be there?
Do I have the skills?
What if someone asks ME some gardening query?
In short: 
I didn't go--FOR TWO YEARS.  The workbee went in the trash.
But I must confess...I did drive by once...it was easy--Saturday morning and I saw all these people at the garden...
and I thought, that is that workbee...and that could be me...and what are they doing?
So then I'd read the emails and see what was being "celebrated"....really?  is this for real?
So another workbee invite came, a bit too enthusiastic for my liking...
I thought "I'll just go check my garden and if things look ok I might say hi.."
I showed up all casual and nonchalant...
and there they were, eager beavers--gloves and tools and hats and smiles...really?
yes.
And they said hello and asked my name and we chatted.
A few them were weeding...I did manage to show one of them my plot,
and ask a few questions that I was dying to know about some varieties I had seen around the garden...
and I thought,
NO ONE HAS ASKED ME TO WORK YET---?
who are these people, I thought they wanted help?
after a while, I did wander over to the garden where most of the gardeners were pulling weeds from the clay and I watched. 
 I was greeted, more introductions and smiles, offered some watermelon...
and then someone asked me what I THOUGHT should be done...huh? 
I checked my watch, a few minutes can't hurt...
and that's how I went on my first workbee.
This could be you...and if you have read this far,
 you might want to know that this Tuesday there is a scheduled workbee at the garden,  August 20, 7 pm.
You are encouraged to come, meet some other gardeners and have fun. 
What you could do, if you are shy like I can be, is "check" your plot...say around 715/720ish..and see what happens...
This might be a great time to debrief this Saturdays' FABULOUS opportunity to visit Jeff Casey's urban garden (go go go!)
I'd go on Saturday too, really, even carpooling with those eager beaver gardeners...but I have a small baby and she trumps tomatoes for now...
Maybe you'll see me Tuesday night if she goes to sleep...hope so--if not, Wednesday morning I hope to be by and water..
but Tuesday I mean I hope we can meet at the garden (and the baby sleeps!)
See you on Tuesday?

No comments: