Friday 4 July 2014

one of gardeners shares about her first tomato of 2014!


My First Tomato in 2014
Picked on June 29, this is the earliest maturing tomato I have ever grown!  I planted the seed on March 29 and repotted the tiny seedling to a 2 inch pot for a few weeks.  Later, I put it in a big pot and introduced it to my greenhouse with lots of other tomatoes on June 1. 
It is called Stupice and was bred in the Czech Republic in the 1970’s. It is certified organic, OP or open pollinated. Days to maturity are said to be 60 to 65, right on the mark. This is an indeterminate, vine plant so I staked and pruned it. It will grow tall and bear fruit all summer. It is a potato leaf plant with small to medium fruit, sweet and flavorful. What a treat! This is one of the varieties that we had for sale at TOMATO MANIA. It is great for our short and sometimes cool summers in Calgary. I highly recommend it for your home garden or greenhouse.
CG
 

 

No comments: